|Vernon with my catalogue|
Colour, Print, Profiles and Coatings 18.2 - Saturday morning we started with the colour management - calibrating all the laptop monitors they had and showing them how important it is to have a balanced display using the Datacolor Spyder Elite. Thanks to Sami Eskonlahti from Suomen Interfoto in Finland and Datacolor for their support in the project!
Then we moved on to building custom profiles - had some difficulty with the older version of the software on my Mac and downloaded an update for tomorrow's session. Still, printing through Qimage with different profiles they got an idea how important it is to have a correct profile to get a good result.
|Reading the target with the Datacolor hardware|
|Reading the target for profiling|
Next we moved on to hand coating - thanks to support from InkAid we had a variety of coatings for the locally made hand made papers, Japanese papers and Tyvek I brought from home.
|Emmanuel Kichere applying gelatin to Washi paper on a support sheet|
|Emmanuel coating Japanese paper|
|InkAid coating on Tyvek|
|The outdoor studio|
|Emmanuel Kichere coating with InkAid|
Torrential rain and a power cut lasted throughout the afternoon just when we didn't need electricity and came back on when the coatings were dry so that we got all the Japanese papers printed.
|Emmanuel Kichere preparing files to print|
|Emmanuel Kichere's print of buffalo|
|Emmanuel's Washi paper print|
|Vernon and his print on Washi paper|
Great to have an enthusiastic bunch to work with - inspired choice of prints and fast learners! At the end of the day I could more or less leave them on their own to set up the prints on the Epson 9900.